Checking your Social Security status is easy – if you know where to look.
If you're one of the millions of Americans who is applying for Social Security benefits this year, congratulations! Retirement is an exciting time for many, freeing up your days to spend with friends and family, traveling, finding hobbies, and relaxing away from the workplace.
Once you submit your application, awaiting a response can be nerve-wracking. The good news is the Social Security Administration (SSA) has a robust offering of online services to help you get the information you need from anywhere, including updates on your Social Security application status.
Here is more information about how to check your status, how to create a my Social Security account, and what the application status shows.
How to check Social Security benefits status
Checking the status of your Social Security benefits is easy – all you have to do is log into your my Social Security account. On the My Home page:
- Scroll to the Your Benefit Applications section
- Select View Details under the More Info heading
- Find the Current Status section
- View your application status
You must have a my Social Security account to view the status of your application online. Or, if you can't check the status online, you can call the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. You can also visit your local Social Security office.
How to create a my Social Security account
In your my Social Security account, examples of things you can do include:
- Request a replacement Social Security card
- Check the status of an application
- Estimate future benefits
- Manage your existing benefits
To set up an account:
- Go to ssa.gov/myaccount
- Click Create an Account
- Click Sign in with LOGIN.GOV or Create an account
- If you already have a Login.gov account, then sign in. If not, scroll down and click create an account
- Enter your email address, choose your language preference, accept the Login.gov rules of use, and click submit
Once your account is created, you'll be taken back to the Social Security website to finish creating the account. After completing all required fields, your account will be activated, and you'll be logged in.
Related reading: Creating Your Online Social Security Account
What does the Social Security application status show?
When you log into your account to check your status, you will be able to view:
- The date you filed the application
- The current claim location
- The servicing office location
- The scheduled hearing date and time, if applicable
- Re-entry numbers if your application was incomplete
You'll also be able to view links to articles and publications that may be helpful for you depending on your claim and the status of the application in the process.
Find a Medicare Plan in your area
It's FREE with no obligation