Anthem Insurance Company traces its roots to Indiana in the 1940s and two separate insurance companies: Mutual Hospital Insurance and Mutual Medical Insurance. Many mergers, acquisitions, and name changes occurred over the following decades. Finally, the company became Anthem, Inc. in 2014. Today, Anthem is one of the largest for-profit managed healthcare companies in America.
Anthem Medicare Advantage Plans
As with all private Medicare providers, Anthem's Medicare Advantage (MA) plans vary according to where you live. Possible options include:
- HMO plans: Typically require beneficiaries to choose a primary care physician (PCP) within the plan's network. The PCP helps coordinate care with other providers in the network.
- PPO plans: These plans allow the beneficiary to see any Medicare-approved provider who accepts Anthem's terms, in- or out-of-network.
- Dual Special Needs plans: Available to beneficiaries who qualify for both Medicare and Medicaid. These HMO plans include prescription drug coverage.
Many Anthem MA plans offer prescription drug coverage. All cover the following preventive services, including:
- Shots: Pneumococcal, flu, hepatitis B for beneficiaries deemed medium to high risk
- Exams: One-time Welcome to Medicare and yearly wellness visits.
- Screenings: Includes a wide variety of screenings, such as alcohol misuse, bone mass measurement, mammograms, colorectal cancer, and depression
- Preventive benefits: Includes intensive behavioral therapy for cardiovascular disease, medical nutrition therapy for people with diabetes or renal disease, and counseling for smoking cessation
The licensed agents at ClearMatch™ Medicare can help you understand the Anthem Medicare Advantage plan options in your area.
Anthem Medicare Part D Plans
If you prefer to stay with Original Medicare, Anthem also offers Medicare Part D (prescription drug) plans. Costs and coverage vary according to where you live and the plan you choose. Anthem also offers the Medication Therapy Management Program to help members who have multiple conditions manage their medications. To qualify, members must have at least three chronic conditions, take eight or more medications daily, and meet certain cost thresholds.
Anthem Medicare Supplement Plans
Anthem also offers Medicare Supplement Plans (Medigap) to Original Medicare beneficiaries in many states. These plans help enrollees pay certain out-of-pocket costs (coverage varies depending on which Medigap plan you choose).
Find an Anthem Medicare Plan
Finding the right Anthem Medicare plan to meet your needs can be extremely confusing. The team at ClearMatch™ Medicare is here to help. We work with you to help you find the best plan that meets both your budget and your unique healthcare needs. Use our Plan Finder to review your options.
120 Monument Circle
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Find a Medicare Plan in your area
It’s FREE with no obligation