Whether you want cute, sweet, funny, or something wholly unique for that retirement card, we've got you covered!
Retirement is a major life milestone marking the end of one chapter and the start of another. From working long hours to having all the free time one could ask for, retirement is something most people look forward to. However, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have a bittersweet feeling, as those ending their career can feel both excited and nervous, or even anxious, about what comes next.
If someone you know or work with is retiring soon, sending a retirement card or small gift is an easy, thoughtful way to congratulate and celebrate this time with them. You can purchase a retirement card from the store but adding your own message can be a heartfelt way to give your well wishes. Here are some examples of things you can write in a retirement card, as well as gift ideas you may want to consider.
25 messages to write in a retirement card
When writing in a retirement card, it’s not always easy to come up with something to say, especially if you’re not particularly close to the person. To help find the right words to say, follow these steps:
- Start by congratulating them on their retirement
- Speak to their hard work, your admiration for their work ethic or what they’ve accomplished, or how much you’ve enjoyed working with them
- Share a memory (if you have one)
- Offer well-wishes for the next chapter in their life
Your message can be general, appreciative, funny, sincere, congratulatory, or a combination, and you can make it as simple or personal as you like. For example:
- Congratulations on your retirement and career! We will miss you at the office!
- Happy retirement! Enjoy your well-deserved time off.
- Thank you for all your hard work over the years, and congratulations on making it to retirement! Celebrating you today and wishing you the best.
- Cheers to your retirement! Thank you for being such a wonderful colleague and friend.
- Wishing you good health, enjoyment, and success as you move forward in your career and move on to new endeavors.
- No matter what comes next in your retirement, I hope it brings you joy and fulfillment! We appreciate all of your dedication to this company throughout the years and we will miss you!
- Congratulations on your retirement! I’m honored to have been a colleague who could learn from and be inspired by you every day. Wishing you the best in what’s next!
- Hoping you enjoy your retirement full of fun, friends, and family, but know we will miss seeing you every day! Celebrating you today and all you have accomplished and hoping for the best in your future.
- Thank you for your work and dedication over the years. Our team won’t be the same without you!
- While I’m mostly jealous, I’m also happy for you. Enjoy every minute of your retirement.
- Even though you’re nowhere near old enough to retire, congratulations! Happy retirement!
- Enjoy your retirement, but if you get bored, know that there’s always room for you to come back!
- Now every day is a vacation! Enjoy every moment of your retirement – you deserve it!
- Finally, it’s time to relax! No more meetings, deadlines, or emails. Enjoy this much deserved break but know we will miss you!
- Thank you for always supporting me and our team with your positive attitude, hard work, and encouragement. We will miss you! Congratulations!
- It’s been quite a pleasure working with you over the years. I always admired [example] and your dedication to our team. Wishing you all the best in retirement!
- Congratulations and good luck! Stay in touch – I can’t wait to hear about all of your adventures!
- Thank you for everything you’ve contributed to our team, and for being a mentor and a friend. Enjoy retirement, you deserve it!
- While I’m sad to see you go, I’m glad to have worked with you and so excited for what’s to come. Congratulations on your retirement.
- There aren’t many people more deserving than you to finally get to retire and relax. Your hard work and dedication will be missed, but I’m so excited for this next chapter in your life!
- The fun finally begins! Wishing you a long, healthy, happy retirement surrounded by friends and family.
- We will miss you when you’re gone but are so excited for all the new memories and adventures that are coming your way. Congratulations on your retirement – enjoy!
- Sending all the happy retirement thoughts your way. Enjoy every moment and have so much fun!
- It definitely won’t be the same without you here, and we sure will miss [example]. But I’m so happy for you and hope you have so much fun in the next chapter of life.
- Happy retirement day! We will miss you but know that you’ll be living your best life with all this new freedom. Enjoy!
Regardless of the message you choose, write something from the heart. Retirement is a big deal and truly an accomplishment, so use this space to share thoughtful messages of congratulations, appreciation, and well wishes.
20+ retirement gift ideas
Getting a retiree a card is often thoughtful enough, but in some cases, you may also want to congratulate them with a small gift to make them feel even more special and appreciated. Here are a few gift ideas to help you honor the retiree in your life:
- Photo book
- Custom cookies or treats
- Self-care products, like body scrub, lotion, soaps, etc.
- Coffee or tea
- Engraved watch
- Gift card
- Monthly book or magazine subscription
- Bottle of champagne or alcohol
- Cocktail kit
- Plant a tree in their honor
- Tickets to a show, concert, movie, or sporting event
- Travel accessories, like a travel pillow, travel bag, or luggage tags
- Cup or coffee mug
- Paints or art supplies
- Lessons for something the retiree would enjoy, like cooking or dancing
You can also always choose something that relates to the retiree’s hobbies, especially something that they will be able to use more often now that they have more free time.
Remember, the best retirement gift is something the retiree will enjoy, is catered to their likes or hobbies, or relates to a memory or inside joke. Gifts can range in price, but you don’t have to spend a lot. The more important thing is showing the impact the person had on your life, and your excitement for their future.